Are you wondering what to put on your skin after microneedling?
As you may know, microneedling is a treatment that involves using tiny needles to create thousands of micro-wounds in the skin.
This can stimulate collagen production and improve the appearance of scars, stretch marks, and wrinkles.
After a session of micro needling, it’s important to use the right products to help your skin heal and rejuvenate.
This blog post will introduce you to some of the best post-microneedling products and procedures available.
How Microneedling Affects Your Skin Type
Micro needling helps increase your body’s natural production of collagen.
A microneedle procedure involves the insertion of needles into the skin layer.
When skin care professionals push the needle onto skin, these needles irritate the skin surface causing a small wound that triggers the skin healing process.
The needle is very thin so the poke is pretty shallow so that no damage to the epidermis is visible in any case.
Benefits Of Microneedling
One of the greatest benefits of microneedling is the ability to treat the scars, stretch marks and wrinkles.
It is useful in treating scars created by accidents, acne, chickenpox or burns.
Stretchmarks are also common skin conditions that are quite difficult to treat permanently.
Microneedling treatment is beneficial for stretch marks due to pregnancy or an increase in weight.
The most effective treatments with microneedling include laser resurfacing, chemical peels, dermabrasion, skin needling and laser-assisted hair removal.
Other benefits of microneedling include:
- Collagen and elastin formation
- The new channel is achieved by skin to absorb the topical serum
- Microneedling downtime and side effects are far less from other skin treatments
- More firm and radiant skin
- It’s very secure and safe for all skin colors
- It is cheap, low-risk and quite useful too
- Improved skin texture
- General skin rejuvenation
- Smoother skin
Risks Of Microneedling
Like any procedure, microneedling can cause possible complications.
However, the risks of microneedling treatments are rare and mild.
Problems usually occur because of improper use or care.
Skin infection and skin damage to sensitive skin is the two most common complications with microneedling.
- Swelling and redness around the treated area after treatment
- Pigment changes in the skin that has been treated, particularly if you have darker skin color
- Development of acne scars
- Redness caused by sun exposure, which disappears over time.
If your face looks like a tomato for more than 24 hours after surgery, it’s possible that you’ve bled excessively or experienced excess swelling so immediately contact your dermatologist before anything else.
Microneedling has many advantages in getting your skin beautiful, but like all good skin treatments you must follow for maximum results.
The microneedling process creates micro wounds and the skin cannot be immediately removed as the treatment does not cause any skin damage.
Immediately following the treatment, you may have mild to moderate sun damage and your face may be warmer and tight.
This effect is normal and usually fading within 1-3 hours after treatment, however the resolution will take 24 hours.
7 Tips for Microneedling Aftercare
The proper aftercare after microneedling treatment will improve the effectiveness of the operation.
However, proper prepping of your skin during surgery is another key aspect for successful treatment.
Prep skin is more effective and gives you a more durable finish.
Here are 7 tips for microneedling aftercare:
- Ensure your skin is completely clean and free of makeup before treatment.
- Remove the dead cells from the surface of the skin.
- Moisturize with a suitable cream or lotion so that it does not dry out the treated area.
- Apply sunscreen, if required, to protect against sun damage. Avoid exposing your face to direct sunlight for a week after treatment as this may cause irritation and peeling .
- If you have diabetes it is necessary that you control blood sugar levels properly during post-treatment days. If needed, consult a doctor to determine whether insulin injections need to be adjusted during recovery .
- Ensure you drink plenty of water after treatment, so that your body can increase the rate of recovery .
- Notify your skin care professional before hyperbaric oxygen therapy or other forms of intense pressure, as this may risk damage to treated tissue.
Pre-Care Instructions For Microneedling
There are some important pre-care instructions for microneedling treatments.
Before you undergo a microneedling treatment, it is crucial that you know your skin type and skin color.
Be sure to inform your doctor about any medical conditions or medications that may influence the procedure you are planning on having.
If you are pregnant or lactating do not start this procedure without consulting a dermatologist .
The following are some before-care tips for microneedling:
- Avoid the use of retinol, vitamin A, exfoliating acids, photosensitizing products before at least 4-5 days of treatment.
- Don’t apply makeup products that can affect your layers, 2-3 days before your treatment.
- If you are willing to treat that area when hairs grow, it is suggested to please shave that area before your visit.
- Try to avoid sun exposure, sunburn, or tanner before two weeks for microneedling.
Post-Care Instructions For Microneedling
There are some important post-care instructions for microneedling treatments.
Microneedling is a fairly safe procedure, but you still need to take care of your skin after microneedling during the recovery period.
Once your treatment is over, it’s time to follow proper post-care instructions for Microneedling:
- Avoid direct exposure to sunlight for 48 hours after the microneedling session
- Protect treated area with sunscreen when exposed to sunrays in future
- Use an emollient or moisturizer on the treated area 2-3 times in a day
- You may feel some discomfort when using simple skin products like toners and cleansers till you are completely healed from microneedling session
- Your skin might look slightly or red immediately after microneedling, but that is normal
- Avoid scrubbing or massaging in any direction to the treated area until your skin heals completely
- Do not pick at the wound if it bleeds
- Do not use any other product on your sensitive skin till you are completely healed from microneedling treatment session
Best Skincare Products To Use After Microneedling
There are several skincare products you can apply to your skincare routine after microneedling.
If you have acne, there are treatments that can be irritating to the skin.
So, avoid applying those products on your face for a couple of days.
However, there is no harm in using these products during your skincare routine after 2-3 days after microneedling:
Peptides protein plays a vital role in the maintenance of intact skin.
By using a peptide, your skin will be free of wrinkles, dark spots, skin tone variations, and scars.
Peptides role in microneedling is to remove spit sensitivity of the skin and soothe the tissues.
All of peptides products are mostly fragrance-free, so does not have any harmful or allergic ingredient.
If you are looking for a single peptide product to make your skin firm, the following products can help you out:
The Ordinary Buffet
It contains amino acid peptides, hydrating glycerin, and fragrance-free product.
All these features lead this product a significant component of micro-needling treatment.
Another advantage of this product is the low price i.e., $21.
You can buy this product from: The Ordinary Buffet
Eva Peptide Complex Serum
The peptide is known as an anti-aging protein that is used to boost skin collagen.
This product works to project hyaluronic acid and skin Aloe to remove wrinkles, fine lines, and keep your skin intact.
The price of this product starts at $16, and its formula is also fragrance-free.
We highly recommend using this product if you are looking for peptides products. Buy this product from:
Peptide Complex Serum by Eva Naturals
2) Hyaluronic Acid
In micro-needling post-care, hyaluronic acid plays a vital role.
The product having the considerable weight of this acid like Mesoestetic HA Densimatrix contains molecules for moisture-binding and increase the penetration and absorptions in pores.
Its products are considered as best products to use after microneedling.
Whichever product you are using, make sure that it should be fragrance-free and consist of a high quantity of hyaluronic acid to avoid any irritations, etc.
Skinceuticals Hydrating Moisture Gel
Skinceuticals Hydrating B5 Gel
It’s beneficial for skin clogging and moisturizing.
Skinceuticals are oil-free gels that are rich with hyaluronic acid and used to hydrate and reduce inflammation after microneedling.
Eyes Serum Vichy Mineral 89
It contains pure hyaluronic acid and caffeine, with 89% of mineral water. It works to remove fine facial lines and brighten the skin, especially under eyes.
If your budget is low to buy such a product, this serum can help you as an alternative to all the above. Its price is starting at $24.
Many dermatologists recommend Vichy 89 because it’s a medical and fragrance-free mineral serum.
Vichy Mineral 89 Eyes Serum, Brightening Eye Gel Cream
When you are under microneedling, ceramides works to make up your upper skin and gives long-lasting moisture.
Many dermatologists recommend this product when you are looking for a fast healing process.
Ceramides have less risk of any irritation or side-effect to protect your skin and make it firm and resistant.
These are also helpful in increasing the microneedling downtime. Ceramides related products are listed below.
CeraVe Moisturizing Cream
This product provides 24-day hydration with three Ceramides and helps in restoring pure and brightens skin.
This product also contains a specific amount of hyaluronic acid that assists your skin to retain natural moisture. It’s very suitable for dry skin.
CeraVe is also oil and fragrance-free, so medically suggested by dermatologist and price range start from $15-$17.
Buy this product from: CeraVe Moisturizing Cream
4) PSF And Zinc
Greeks used zinc for wound healing in earlier centuries.
Zinc is still used in the antibacterial and anti-inflammation products to cure scars, spots, and nodal acne issues.
It is also used in night creams to avoid any rashes and side effects.
PSF, on the other hand, is a post-microneedling ingredient that enhances your skin barrier capacity and makes it more vulnerable to damages.
Always choose a fragrance-free formula and SPF at least 30. All of the above are the best products to use after microneedling.
The bottom line is that microneedling is a great way to improve your skin health and appearance.
It’s relatively affordable, easy to do at home, and has few risks.
Just be sure to follow the proper aftercare instructions to avoid any negative side effects or complications.